Thursday, March 17, 2011

Crusty Pinto Bean Bread

Yes!, you read that correctly! This bread has pinto beans in it.
I used some of the beans that I cooked this morning (see previous post) and just about a tablespoon or so of lentils. 
This has the word "crusty" in the title but I like a softer crust because it doesn't make such a mess when cutting or eating. Here's a great ~NO CALORIES ADDED Tip~ as soon as you take the bread out of the oven put water on it. I do it this way...I have a little one inch wide brush...yes a pastry brush...and dip and paint water on the hot loaves. Now my mother who is much more daring than I actually leaves her loaves in the pans and runs them under a lightly running faucet! If you get too much in the corner you get a soggy bottom. ;) 
 
This is so soft and moist! Here's the recipe:

2 pkg. active dry yeast
1&1/4 cup lukewarm bean juice
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 Tblsp. salt
6-7 cups sifted flour
1/2  cup lukewarm water
1 cup mashed pinto beans
2 Tblsp. shortening
2 Tblsp. honey

Soften the yeast in the 1/2 cup lukewarm water.
Heat bean juice in large pan, then add milk, oil, salt, honey, mashed beans and 2-3 cups of flour. Beat with mixer until smooth. Next add yeast mix and more flour until dough is easily handled. Turn out on floured board and knead until smooth. Place in greased pan and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk. Punch down and let rise again. Now cut dough into loaf sizes, shape and place in greased baking pans. Let rise again and bake 40-45 min. or until done in 375* oven.

Things I did differently: I had to use about a tablespoon of lentils to make up a lack of beans. I think I would add 1/2 tsp. more salt. Also add the last half of flour one cup at a time so you don't make dough too stiff. I only let it rise 2 times instead of 3.

Enjoy...let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment