Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Meatloaf...alittleofthisandthat Syle

In a large bowl mix 3 lbs. ground meat (this happens to be oryx), 1/4 lb. sausage, 1pkg. onion soup mix, 1 large carrot (grated or chopped fine), a handful of oatmeal, 2 Tbls. dried onion, 1 slice bread, 1 egg, 1 Tbls. worchestershire sauce, 2 Tbls. catsup, 1 Tbls. mustard, 1/2 cup milk, pepper and seasoning salt. Oops...I almost forgot....parsley flakes. Mix until well blended.
Use half of the meat mix and mold it to your pan...again I love this in cast iron.

On top of this I sliced about 1/4 lb. of cheese, 1 can sliced mushrooms, and green chili.

Top it with the remaining meat mix. It should be like a big, stuffed hamburger patty. Pull it away from the sides of the pan and with the edge of your hand divide the patty into quarters. Not too deep...you don't want to expose the stuffing.

Top the patty with bacon and place in the oven and bake for about an hour at 425 degrees. Uncovered.

In a small sauce pan mix equal parts catsup and honey. Heat to blend. When the meatloaf is done spread this mix on top and turn on the broiler for a few minutes. This is also good to spoon over individual servings.

I apologize...I totally forgot to take a picture until after we served up to the Elders. Now I know this looks really oily but it's not (I mean after all it's still in the pan not on your plate.) If you are concerned about that sorta thing use low fat cheese and leave off the bacon.

I love this! I hope you do too. Let me know your variations and/or stuffing ideas.

2 comments:

  1. o my gosh that looks so good...i have never heard of doing it like that...but man o man that looks good

    ReplyDelete