Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Refried Beans without the Refry

Today I learned to make refried beans, and my husband can't stop raving about them, so I thought I'd share the recipe. I'll post a picture when I figure out how to take a semi-cute shot of a food that is not very picturesque. Until then, please use your imagination!

Here's the link to the allrecipes recipe I followed.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Refried-Beans-Without-the-Refry/Detail.aspx

And here is what I did after reading the comments:
Refried Beans without the Refry {crockpot recipe}
1 onion, peeled and halved
2 C. dry pinto beans, rinsed
1 C. dry black beans, rinsed
1/2 fresh jalapeno, seeded and chopped
2 Tbls. minced garlic
1 Tbls. Salt
2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
9 C. water
Step 1: Sort the beans carefully, looking for rocks or anything else that shouldn't be there. It only takes a minute and could save a trip to the dentist! Rinse the beans.
Step 2: Peel and halve the onion.
Step 3: Seed and chop the jalapeno, using a plastic baggy as a glove.
Step 4: Add minced garlic - I use the pre-minced stuff from a jar (walmart brand) and I love it. So much quicker than mincing by hand or using one of those press thingies. But if you must, mince away!
Step 5: Add seasonings.
Step 6: Add water.
{Maybe I should have clarified that you would be putting all of these things in a crockpot, preferably a 6 quart, but it might fit in a four quart if you are a very lucky person.}
Step 7: Turn crockpot to high, cover and cook for eight hours adding water as needed.
Step 8: Strain the beans, saving the water by catching it in another bowl under the strainer.
Step 9: Mash, adding reserved bean water as needed. I used my kitchenaid mixer for this and added about one and a quarter cups of water.
I think all those steps might make it look harder than it actually was. Short story: Put a couple of things in the crockpot in the morning. Let it simmer all day. Mash in kitchenaid. Feast. Easy- peasy. You can freeze some of this if you need to. It does make a lot.
I don't know why, but I was intimidated by the thought of making refried beans for a long time. Maybe it was the whole lard thing. Seriously, what is lard and where do you find it? This recipe is great in it's simplicity, and it tastes wonderful. The jalapeno gives it just enough kick without being too spicy - for adults that is. My two-year-old didn't seem to dig it, so maybe next time I'll try it without the hot stuff and see how it tastes.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sherral. Now for lard: it is rendered pork fat or beef fat or any combination of fats. It will be found on your grocery shelves near the shortening usually in a turqoise tub or box. I'm with you though; when a recipe calls for lard I sorta cringe. Now check out my meatloaf pics....it must be all in my head!;)

    ReplyDelete